Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Classes

I'm half way through my second week of classes and I can't remember the last time I read so much in so little time. Just over the weekend I read The Three Sisters, A Streetcar Named Desire and Agamemnon. But let's do this in order.

Costume Construction
My first class of the week. 8:30am on Tuesday. I love this class, even though we haven't actually started sewing yet. But The teacher is so funny, and she has a dog that wears a super-dog cape and hangs out with us. His name is Henry. Over the course of this semester we will do a number of projects. The first of which is an apron with pockets to keep all our things in. Like the awesome scissors I bought. They were expensive, but soooo nice. I want to cut fabric all day. The last project will be a pair of pants. Intimidating. Between those two we'll work on costumes for the shows at the theater. I will be in the costume crew for Medea (I think they're trying to turn it into a musical. Scary.) which I'm excited about.

Play Reading
Do I have to explain what we do in this class? Yes? Okay, so we read plays. And then we talk about them in class. So that's where Agamemnon comes in. I know this shouldn't be a big deal, but I actually made it through the entire play on time. And I wrote he response paper and everything.

Acting III
The best class of all of them. We'll work on scenes and monologues (doing Masha from Three Sisters) throughout the semester. I'm so glad to be back on stage. Last week we had a guest in class, a director from Florida, and our teacher wanted to show him what we were working on, but since it's so early in the year there wasn't much to show. So she asked us to do monologues we had worked on outside of class. And all the American students did their stuff, but I didn't have anything yet. I said that I could try a German monologue, not thinking that they would actually go for it. But they did. So I got up on stage in front of everybody for the first time since I got here and I did Lena's Tagtraum monologue from Atlas. You won't believe how good that felt. Somebody actually guessed what it was about. I was very pleased with myself and got some great feedback. I can't wait to start working on my first monologue for real.

Advanced Topic in Fiction Writing
This class is the deadline I need to keep writing and I'll actually have to do some editing. I have to hand in my first draft for my first short story (10-20 pages) next Tuesday and so far I have nothing. So if you have any ideas (and I mean real ideas) then please let me know. I'm desperate.


I have one other class, Young Adult Literature, but I can't really say anything about that yet, because we've only had one session. I'll know more come Thursday. Speaking of Thursday. Thursday is my BIRTHDAY! We'll probably go to see a play, then go to dinner off campus, and then go to a club. I do wish I could have all my Bielefeld people with me and my family...
Skype, people! Find me on skype!

It's late. I have to go to bed. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment